Tahoe-Truckee schools recognized for grade-level reading efforts
October 14, 2014
TAHOE-TRUCKEE — Ralph Smith, senior vice president of the Annie E. Casey Foundation and director of the National Campaign for Grade Level Reading, kicked off the Sept. 29 TTUSD Teacher Staff Development Day with a rousing affirmation of the work of the district and community to address grade-level reading.
In 2012, Tahoe Truckee was named an All-America City based on a community-wide plan to improve third-grade reading. Smith has been impressed with the implementation of the plan and wanted to visit the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.
"There is something very special going on in this community that you don't see very often," Smith said. "There is a cohesion that is very rare."
The timing of Smith's visit coincided with a Staff Development Day, in which staff hosted a district-wide conference with more than 20 sessions to provide training to meet individual needs of teachers.
At the conclusion of his keynote speech, Smith officially recognized Tahoe-Truckee as a Pacesetter Community for implementation of the plan to promote early reading. He spent the remainder of his day with Tahoe-Truckee community partners, including Excellence in Education, Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation, Community Collaborative of Tahoe Truckee, town of Truckee, Placer and Nevada counties, and the S.H. Cowell Foundation.
The group also took Smith on a tour of the area including the Family Resource centers, the Boys and Girls Club, KidZone Museum, school sites and housing areas.
Recommended Stories For You
Kelli Twomey is Coordinator of Parent & Community Relations for TTUSD. Visit ttusd.org to learn more about the district.
Trending In: Education
- North Tahoe Middle School students design experiments to save sugar pines
- More than $110K raised for KidZone during Discovery Luncheon
- Sierra Nevada College’s Lynn Gillette out as president (updated)
- Community works together to support students with special needs
- ‘Classroom of the Future’ taking shape at Tahoe-Truckee schools
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee
- Last of Tahoe’s downhill resorts set to open this week