Tahoe-Truckee schools transportation staff earns awards
August 11, 2016
Three members of Tahoe Truckee Unified School District's (TTUSD) transportation team were recently recognized for their exceptional skills, commitment and leadership.
Each award winner represents a different facet of school transportation, from a mechanic in the garage, to school bus drivers, to fleet management. Recognition from multiple entities is not only a testament to their hard work but the important role the transportation department plays within the school district.
The district has 38 school buses and 40 other "white fleet" vehicles and Fleet Manager, Don Harder, is responsible for keeping them in top shape.
Harder was nominated along with over 100 other fleet supervisors from around the country and earned national recognition as the "Garage Star" by School Transportation News.
Don is known for always looking for ways to improve the district's systems and efficiencies and ways he can help the mechanics and bus drivers do their job.
Mechanic Jorge Abac was named by the Placer County Office of Education as the Transportation Employee of the Year and the overall Classified Employee of the Year.
Recommended Stories For You
His knowledge and experience as a heavy-duty diesel mechanic are extensive and exceed the standards. Abac is a leader in his department and models compliance with rules and regulation.
One of the district's highly skilled and personable school bus drivers, Derek Bosserman, participated in a state driving competition for school bus drivers.
The California School Bus Roadeo tests the driving and maneuvering skills of some of the finest drivers in the state, and Bosserman, known for his determination and tenacity, won the state title for Tahoe Truckee and is the state champion.
He went on to compete in the International School Bus Safety Competition, earning fourth place in the transit bus category.
The district's Executive Director of Business Services, Todd Rivera stated, "Each employee in our transportation department is a valuable member of our education team. Their top priority is student safety and their commitment is exemplary."
Nanette Rondeau, TTUSD's Transportation Director, shared, "It's about being the best we can be for our students and families. The recent recognitions are a direct reflection of the entire department, and I couldn't be prouder. This team enhances and supports each other to maintain the highest level of safety; from dispatchers to the instructor, to mechanics, drivers; it really is a team effort."
This article was provided by the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. Visit ttusd.org to learn more.
Trending In: Education
- Readers are Leaders | What does Truckee PD’s Detective Lopez read?
- Sierra history: The Gold Rush winter of 1850 (part 2)
- Truckee: the land of over 100 Hollywood films
- Principal’s Corner: Blending what’s best for students in award-winning Truckee Elementary program
- Young entrepreneurs win $6K in prize money
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Town of Truckee looking to relocate downtown transit center
- Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe now serves as a lakewide pet care, resource network
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter