Teachers, students play roles in Great California ShakeOut
October 27, 2014
On Oct. 16, at exactly 10:16 a.m., all staff, students and administration throughout the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District participated in the Great California ShakeOut and practiced how to "Drop, Cover, and Hold On."
The ShakeOut is a statewide earthquake drill, and the school district took the event a step further and implemented a full emergency response drill to ensure they are well prepared in the event of an emergency or disaster.
Representatives from North Tahoe Fire, Truckee Fire, Truckee Police Department and Nevada County Sheriff's Department were present and acted as observers at TTUSD's mock Incident Command Center.
Following the event, TTUSD district staff members and the local emergency response agencies held a debrief session where observations and feedback was shared.
"We learned a great deal about our emergency planning and ability to respond in case of an actual disaster. This drill is very important to the district's efforts to ensure the safety and security of its students and staff," Mark Button, TTUSD's Director of Facilities and lead of the drill, said in a statement. "The Great ShakeOut at TTUSD was a very successful drill and the district received tips and kudos from the emergency personnel observing."
This article was submitted to the Sun by the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. Visit ttusd.org to learn more.
Trending In: Education
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Back to School: TTUSD program spotlight — Independent Study and Ski Academy
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow