Truckee bothers – ‘Los Hermanos’ – compete in Spanish hip hop comp
June 7, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Two Truckee teenage brothers, Jacob and Nicholas Villaman — a.k.a. "Los Hermanos" — traveled all the way to Barcelona, Spain, to compete in the country's largest international all hip hop dance competition.
At ages 14 and 16, they competed in the adult pairs category against 30 other teams and took third place and received some of the highest scores in the entire event. This hip hop competition, called Urban Display, is the largest in Spain and celebrated its 20th anniversary this year.
Urban Display welcomed 370 competing groups from around the world, including Italy, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Canary Islands, United States and, of course, Spain.
The Villaman brothers' winning dance was choreographed by Ryan Curren of Truckee Dance Factory. Curren, their instructor and mentor for the last six years, coached them in preparation for their successful performance at Urban Display.
"I could not be more proud of these boys!" says Curren. "Their hard work and dedication has truly paid off on the international stage."
If you would like to see the Villaman brothers in action, they will be performing in their home studio's year end showcase on Sunday, June 12, at North Tahoe High School at 6 p.m. Visit truckeedancefactory.com for ticket and show info.
Trending In: Education
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- $55 million renovation project well underway at Truckee High
- $50,000 in scholarships awarded to 7 Tahoe-Truckee seniors
- Ice Axe Impact School offers expeditionary, experiential field courses