Truckee Read Up! volunteer tutor helps student earn college degree
March 31, 2015
We would like to congratulate Shannon Lee (Xue Zhan) for recently earning her Bachelor of Science Degree in International Business from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Shannon's Read Up! volunteer English tutor, Jane Kundel, a retired college writing instructor, is thrilled she was able to teach Shannon the skill of writing college term papers.
Shannon has been a student in Read Up! since 2010, and was new to the United States, coming from China.
Her first Read Up! volunteer tutor helped her with English, and Shannon was able to graduate with an A.A. Degree from Sierra College in Truckee.
The Read Up! organization, a Nevada County literacy program, based at the Truckee Library for more than 10 years, matches community volunteers with Read Up! students.
Currently, 27 Truckee community members volunteer as English literacy tutors to more than 30 students who wish to develop increased literacy abilities.
Recommended Stories For You
All provide a free, confidential tutoring service to improve the lives of their students and their students' families.
For more information about the Read Up! Literacy Program, visit truckeefol.org/readup or call 530-575-7030.
Rolann Aronson is coordinator of the Truckee Read Up! program.
Trending In: Education
- Tahoe-Truckee students thrive in outdoor education at Sagehen Creek
- Excellence in Education Foundation honors Tahoe Truckee teachers, staff
- Ice Axe Impact School offers expeditionary, experiential field courses
- Tahoe-Truckee education: Avoiding winter meltdowns with children
- Tahoe Truckee school district wrapping up construction projects