$300,000 pledged for Truckee workforce housing program
August 16, 2016
The Martis Fund has committed $300,000 to the Family Resource Center of Truckee to support ongoing work to support the basic needs of the local workforce.
The Martis Fund is a collaborative project of Martis Camp landowners, DMB/Highlands Group (the developers of Martis Camp), Mountain Area Preservation and Sierra Watch.
Results from the recent 2016 Regional Housing Study show that 76 percent of local employees are overpaying for housing.
Annually, the Family Resource Center of Truckee serves more than 1,000 households, with about 1/3 of all visits relating to a housing challenge.
Housing issues often stem from root, compounding factors or from financial or legal crises. The multi-faceted and critical nature of these problems requires cooperative and comprehensive solutions.
"The Martis Fund's multi-year commitment will enable the FRCoT to focus more effort on providing one-on-one consultations to clients to help them find and retain safe and affordable housing through case management, financial coaching, mediation and renter education," said Teresa Crimmens, Executive Director of the Family Resource Center of Truckee.
Recommended Stories For You
FRCoT has used Martis Fund contributions to leverage housing-related contributions from new funders including the Martis Camp Community Foundation, Nevada County Community Services Block Grant and Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation.
Over the next 3 years, the FRCoT will evaluate funding and collaboration opportunities to support programmatic expansion.
Visit martisfund.org to learn more about the Martis Fund.
This article was provided by the Family Resource Center of Truckee. Visit truckeefrc.org to learn more.
Trending In: Environment
- Abandoned ski areas near Tahoe struggle to recover due to graded runs
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Wildfire risk a concern in Tahoe Truckee
- Be cautious of Lake Tahoe’s wily coyotes – Toree’s Stories
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Lastest election results (Nevada/Placer counties, state)
- Wolverines scuttle Pirates to reach first state title game since 2012
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing