Downtown Truckee pocket park gets $25,000 grant as work begins
May 20, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Mountain Area Preservation was the recent recipient of a $25,000 grant from the Truckee River Fund in support of the Trout Creek Pocket Park, located at Bridge and Jibboom streets in Downtown Truckee.
"This grant is tied to the extensive water quality improvements proposed at the site, including permeable pavers and a drainage system designed to treat run-off before it enters Trout Creek," according to a MAP press release.
The Truckee River Fund was established in 2004 by the Truckee Meadows Water Authority. Truckee River Fund grants are primarily used for projects that protect and enhance water quality or water resources of the Truckee River, or its watershed, according to MAP.
The Trout Creek Pocket Park and Restoration Initiative has been part of the Truckee Downtown Specific Plan's vision since 1997.
The project is expected to revitalize and restore an urban natural resource and neglected landscape by creating a green open space and park setting for visitors and locals to enjoy along the creek's edge.
MAP broke ground in early May on the park, and work should be done this summer.
Recommended Stories For You
To learn more or to donate, contact Nikki Riley at 530-582-6751 or Nikki@mapf.org to contribute to the Friends of Trout Creek.
Trending In: Environment
- Abandoned ski areas near Tahoe struggle to recover due to graded runs
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region
- Nearly 10 years later, Tahoe Biltmore redevelopment project is advancing — slowly
- Be cautious of Lake Tahoe’s wily coyotes – Toree’s Stories
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search