Elizabeth Carmel appointed to TRPA governing board
May 21, 2013
Elizabeth Carmel has joined the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Governing Board following her recent appointment by California Assembly Speaker John Perez, D-Los Angeles.
According to a TRPA press release, Carmel formerly worked as a land use planner for Sonoma and El Dorado counties and for the town of Truckee, where she helped formulate the town's first general and downtown plans. Carmel also worked in the 1990s as a land use planning adviser for the Truckee-based Sierra Business Council.
"I recognize that I am joining the board at a critical moment as TRPA begins implementing an updated Regional Plan," Carmel said in a statement. "This could be a new way forward for Tahoe's environment, economy and communities and I think I bring the right mix of experience to help achieve the goals of the plan."
Carmel graduated from UC Berkeley in 1987 with a degree in Environmental Science with an emphasis on land use planning. She currently owns and operates the Carmel Galleries in Truckee and Calistoga with her husband.
The seat is one of 14 voting positions on the environmental planning agency's board — seven representing California and seven representing Nevada. One board seat, appointed by the President of the United States, is non-voting.
Carmel's appointment brings TRPA's board to its full complement. In April, the California Senate Rules Committee appointed Sacramento attorney Bill Yeates to the board. Both seats were opened last winter when Mara Bresnick (Assembly appointee) and Byron Sher (Senate appointee) stepped down.
Trending In: Environment
- Abandoned ski areas near Tahoe struggle to recover due to graded runs
- Lake Tahoe’s new reality: Study says Sierra Nevada snowpack to suffer sharp decline
- More Tahoe-Truckee snow this winter means more ice melt for roads
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week