Highway 89 to close at Tahoe’s Emerald Bay for 2 weeks
August 16, 2016
MEEKS BAY, Calif. — Next month, Caltrans will perform a full roadway closure of Highway 89 near Emerald Bay, from just south of the Cascade Creek Bridge to Bayview Campground and Inspiration Vista Point.
The full roadway closure is scheduled for two weeks beginning Monday, Sept. 12, at 4 a.m. through Friday, Sept. 16, at 4 p.m.; and from Monday, Sept. 19, at 4 a.m. through Friday, Sept. 23, at 4 p.m.
During the closure, traffic will be allowed to travel through the work zone between 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. Tuesday afternoon through Friday morning. There will be no closure during the weekend from 4 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday.
During the time of the full closure, traffic will be detoured to the north and the east side of the lake going into the Nevada.
From the north side, the detour will take Highway 89 to Tahoe City, then take Highway 28 along the north and east sides of the lake to U.S. Highway 50 South at Spooner Junction to Highway 89 North at South Lake Tahoe.
From the south side, traffic will be detoured the opposite direction: Highway 89 south to U.S. 50 north to Highway 28 south and to Highway 89 south.
Recommended Stories For You
This work is part of the $13 million Emerald Bay water quality improvement project. The closure is for one portion of the project's cold planing and hot mix asphalt paving work located on a ridge with steep slopes on either side of the roadway immediately adjacent to paved surfacing with steep mountainous terrain and tight switchbacks.
The traveling public will be able to access sightseeing locations, including Vikingsholm, Inspiration Point and the Bay View Trail.
This article was submitted by Caltrans. Visit tahoeroads.com to learn more.
Trending In: Environment
- More Tahoe-Truckee snow this winter means more ice melt for roads
- Lake Tahoe and Truckee Road Conditions
- Abandoned ski areas near Tahoe struggle to recover due to graded runs
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted