Martis Valley West development hearing set for Thursday in Tahoe City
June 8, 2016
The next major chapter regarding the controversial Martis Valley West development project could be revealed this Thursday.
The seven-member Placer County Planning Commission will meet at 10 a.m. June 9 at Granlibakken Resort, located at 725 Granlibakken Road in Tahoe City, to discuss the project.
According to the meeting's agenda, the commission is being asked by staff to recommend the development project for approval to the Placer County Board of Supervisors.
The Martis Valley West Specific Plan proposes development of 760 residential units in Martis Valley on 662 acres, west of Highway 267 and completely outside of the Lake Tahoe Basin.
It consists of two components: a west parcel and an east parcel. The west parcel consists of 1,052 acres; the east parcel contains 6,373 acres.
The project's final Environmental Impact Report was released May 3; nine days later, the North Tahoe Regional Municipal Advisory Council met on May 12 in Tahoe City for its monthly meeting, and was scheduled to consider the project.
Recommended Stories For You
After comment and hearing several residents and environmental organizations speak against the project, the North Tahoe MAC voted 5-1 to recommend that the Placer County Planning Commission "postpone action on this item for 30 days, to allow for ample time to review the final EIR … and that the Planning Commission be aware there are significant concerns with the project."
The North MAC's recommendation on May 12 is advisory only, meaning it was forwarded to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors for consideration. Either body may choose to ignore it or consider it in the decision-making process.
Should the Planning Commission on Thursday OK the project, the County Board of Supervisors is expected to hold a public hearing before making the final ruling, likely sometime this summer.
Trending In: Environment
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region
- Abandoned ski areas near Tahoe struggle to recover due to graded runs
- Being bear aware at Lake Tahoe-Truckee — follow these tips
- Be cautious of Lake Tahoe’s wily coyotes – Toree’s Stories
- Homewood eyes 2017 for ski resort redevelopment after latest court ruling
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots