Farewell to Class of ’97
Seniors are saying goodbye forever to high school this weekend.
“The kids in the Class of ’97 are pretty awesome,” said Principal Dennis LeBlanc.
Tahoe-Truckee High School’s graduation ceremony is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, June 7, at Surprise Stadium. If it rains, seniors will be given five tickets each for guests who will be seated in the high school gym.
Graduation will be televised and shown to remaining guests in the auditorium. One hundred forty-five seniors are expected to graduate.
The Senior Farewell is scheduled tonight at 7 in the high school auditorium. The Farewell will include a slide show of baby pictures, senior portraits, candid shots from events from the end of the year, and a performance of the high school chorus.
In years past, graduating seniors voted in 10 teachers as honorary guardians for the ceremony. This year the seniors voted for two teachers to graduate with the class as honorary graduates
Doris Lucchesi, who teaches government and economics, and Merri McKee, who teaches art and drama, were chosen by the Class of ’97 to lead the class through the stadium and participate in the ceremony.
“It’s a great honor for the teachers,” said LeBlanc.
The school’s two valedictorians, Shannon Baker-Branstetter and Onawa Mock, will deliver graduation speeches.
A record nine students are sharing salutatorian status this year: Claire Binker, Christine Bjerkhoel, Myka Boreen, Ashley Burrill, Michelle Hill, Lisa Khaw, Chalsey Phariss, Ben Ritchie and Ashley Rosenow.
After graduation, students will disappear in buses for a mystery Project Graduation celebration sponsored by the parents.
Last week, 65 seniors went on a two-day senior trip. They left Wednesday at 7 a.m. for Santa Cruz, where they spent the day on the boardwalk and at the beach. That night they stayed at the Days Inn in Santa Clara, and spent all day Thursday at Great America.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The wrong-way driver involved in the Nov. 20 crash that killed two children and two adults will be charged with multiple counts of murder and gross vehicular manslaughter, Nevada County District Attorney Jesse Wilson said.