Fire Safe Council shares insights on Angora Fire damage | SierraSun.com

Fire Safe Council shares insights on Angora Fire damage

Julie Brown
Sierra Sun

Sierra Sun file photoA federal report on the Angora Fire blamed pine needles as one of the leading causes of home losses.

Some valuable lessons can be learned from the recent devastation caused by the Angora Fire ” lessons that apply to every homeowner living in the Tahoe basin and Truckee.

This Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at 450 Jackpine Street in Tahoe City, John Pickett from the Nevada Fire Safe Council will share with North Tahoe homeowners over a barbecue the reason why some South Tahoe homes ignited and others did not.

“It is so critical because the things that caused homes to burn are cheap and easy to fix,” Pickett said.

Pickett said that ground fire burned down more than 100 homes in Angora.

“It had nothing to do with the trees, it had nothing to do with the vegetation even. It was pine needles,” he said.

Burning embers would fly in through a window, catching the rug or a curtain on fire, Pickett said.

Recommended Stories For You

“Many, many, many homes burned down from the inside out,” Pickett said. “The firefighters were concentrating on the main fire front … if there’s something smoldering inside the house, they can’t see that. There’s smoke everywhere.”

On Saturday, Pickett will discuss the Sierra Nevada’s forest ecology and how to apply best management practices around homes, ensuring defensible space.

“I’m the biggest salesman of [Best Management Practices] now,” Pickett said. “We have numbers of examples of when the fire burned to the BMPs and then went out.”