Highway 89 Collision injures two | SierraSun.com

Highway 89 Collision injures two

A Friday night head-on collision on Highway 89 has left one driver facing a DUI charge and the other recovering in the hospital with multiple injuries. Just before 11 p.m., about six miles south of Alpine Meadows, a southbound truck crossed over the double yellow dividing lines and struck an oncoming station wagon.

When Placer County Sheriff Deputy Jon Perriraz arrived at the scene of the accident he found a 1999 Yukon with a fuel leak and a 1997 Subaru on fire. After extinguishing the fire, Perriraz attempted to help the driver of the car but was unable to remove her.

“The front end of that Subaru was just absolutely torn away,” Perriraz said, explaining that much of the front end had been pushed back towards the driver and was pinning her in the vehicle.

Patricia A. Becker, 31, was conscious as Perriraz waited with her for help from the fire department. Perriraz said the woman fell in and out of consciousness after firefighters freed her from the vehicle and she was transported to Tahoe Forest Hospital and then flown by Care Flight to Washoe Medical Center in Reno.

“She had a pretty mangled leg,” Perriraz said, adding that the woman’s Golden Retriever was killed in the accident. “They shipped her out [to the hospital] right away, of course, it was a life threatening situation.”

The driver of the Yukon, Freya Melinda Peters, 22, sustained only minor injuries and was taken to Tahoe Forest Hospital.

“The other driver walked away from it with almost no injuries,” Perriraz said.

After being released from the hospital at around 11:30 p.m., Peters was arrested and transported to the Placer County Sheriff’s Substation in Tahoe City. She was booked into the jail for driving under the influence, causing injury, which is a felony charge.

Becker has been at Washoe Medical Center since the wreck and is in “satisfactory condition,” according to the manager of the center’s orthopedic unit.

A friend of the victim’s, Yvette Durant, has visited the center several times and said Becker is doing well, considering she suffered multiple leg fractures in the accident.

After arriving at the center on Friday night, Becker required four hours of surgery and was then checked into the Intensive Care Unit, according to Durant. She was transferred out of the ICU on Sunday afternoon.

“Some of her sauciness is coming back,” Durant said, adding that Becker was able to walk with the aid of a walker Monday. “A lot of people have come to see her, she’s got a room full of flowers and presents.”

According to Durant, Becker will need to undergo a lot of rehabilitation, but should be released from the hospital on Friday.

Peters posted a bail of $15,000 Saturday and was released to await trial. A court date of May 25 has been set for 8:30 in the morning at the Tahoe division of the Placer County Superior Court in Tahoe City.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User