Incline Lake: Developing IVGID’s 5 acres on the backburner |

Incline Lake: Developing IVGID’s 5 acres on the backburner

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. – Plans to develop and potentially construct a cross-country ski area on 5 acres of land on the 754-acre Incline Lake parcel north of Incline Village are indefinitely on hold, Bill Horn said last week.

“I’m not in the mood to ask the board to take on anything at this point that has no outflow of money,” said Horn, general manager of the Incline Village General Improvement District citing the nation’s uncertain economy. “There are many projects going on in the heart of the community that have to take precedence.”

Incline Lake lies on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe primarily within the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit and is adjacent to the Mount Rose Wilderness and the Sheep’s Flats area of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.

The U.S. Forest Service purchased the parcel in late July 2008 for $46 million from the privately-owned Incline Lake Corporation.

With that transaction, IVGID’s 5-acre parcel, which it agreed to purchase for $1 million more than three years ago, once the entire property became publicly-owned.

A deal also was struck with Nevada State Lands to secure about 75 percent of the $1 million in Question One bonds, leaving IVGID to shoulder the other 25 percent, or $257,400 – of the total selling price of the five acres. That money already is in IVGID hands, funded by the district’s recreation fees.

While no concrete plans have formed, the most popular option for the land among residents, according to past published reports, is a cross-county ski area, perhaps similar to the Spooner Lake Cross County Ski area west of Incline.

Horn estimated such a project could cost between $3 million and $3.5 million, with $1 million to $1.5 million covering a permitting process with the forest service, a process that could take 3 to 5 years to complete.

“I just don’t see where the money is going to come from to make it profitable,” Horn said, adding that the Spooner area benefits fiscally from being a year-round facility.

“I think people thought we’d just throw up a shack and a (portable toilet) and be done with it, but there’s a lot more to it,” Horn said. “As of right now, (the project is) just off the radar screen. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User