Land clearing begins for Featherstone resort | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Land clearing begins for Featherstone resort

DARIN OLDE, Sierra Sun

The developers of Featherstone, a resort community near Glenshire, have begun grading roads at the construction site off Interstate 80 at the Prosser Village Interchange. Developers hope to have model homes available by spring 2001.

Formerly known as Truckee Sierra Resort and Spa, Featherstone is proceeding with phase one, a $15 million dollar project of 32 fractional-ownership homes.

The project consists of roughly 280 acres of planned development in the southwest corner of the 600-square-acre parcel.

“Featherstone will be a shared ownership, five-star resort,” Truckee Sierra Resorts, Inc. President Robert Schwartz said. “It meets the need of using a home when you need it rather than having the burden of full-time ownership.”

The advantage of Featherstone to Truckee residents, explained Town Planner Duane Hall, is property availability.

“Residents who want to buy a house, and will only live here two months out of the year can purchase property at Featherstone. That way, residents looking to buy a house and live here full-time will have more opportunities,” he said.

In addition, Featherstone will generate Transit Occupancy Tax, which is revenue that goes directly to the town when each unit is sold.

“One main reason the project has been so well-received … is the units will only envelope 10 percent of the actual space, leaving 90 percent of the land as open space,” Schwartz said.

The open space will be available for cross-country skiing, biking and hiking. The town prohibits motorized vehicles, fires or camping on the property.

The units will be sold as fractional-ownership. By splitting the ownership in groups of seven, each will share the cost, service and use of the facilities.

“The difference between fractional ownership and time shares,” Schwartz explained, “is a higher caliber of homes, better service and living space.”

The homes, which will consist of three models from 1,900- to 2,800-square-feet, will be completely furnished, from cookware to linens to furniture and home decor.

In addition, the facility will offer a complete array of services from guided recreational opportunities, to shuttle services, to resort and spa facilities.

“We’re offering full service to individual homes. If you want groceries to be there when you arrive, if you want maid service every day, if you want a ride from the airport we will do it all,” Schwartz said.

Owners will be guaranteed two weeks of occupancy in both winter and summer, and will then be able to use the resort homes when space is available.

Schwartz said he hopes to have facilities available by September 2001.

Schwartz has been a developer and builder in the Bay Area for the last 30 years. He formed Truckee Sierra Resorts, Inc. with several other developers, including Ken Hoffman, a builder for 45 years and current owner of the Oakland A’s baseball team.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User