Letter to the Editor: Critiquing Ted Gaines’ recent My Turn
Responding to Ted Gaines’ “Let’s Celebrate Freedom from Higher Taxes.” Indeed. Let’s celebrate:
• Unemployed teachers and larger class sizes for K-12 students. We love kids.
• More tuition increases at CSU and UC. Let them eat … Top Ramen.
• Fewer classes and higher fees at community colleges. A 10-year degree plan for all.
• More deferred maintenance. Further delays to seismic retrofits to schools and state highways. The ‘big one’ will wait.
• The closure of 70 state parks. Employment opportunity! Cooking meth or managing a cartel grow farm at a state park near you.
• More MediCal cuts – more uninsured children. More seniors in nursing homes due to adult day care closures. Bonus – loss of federal matching funds.
• Longer waits in the ER as the uninsured use the ER for primary care. Catch up on your reading.
• Reduced law enforcement for property and “victimless” crimes. Coming to a sidewalk near you.
It is unfortunate that the majority of Californians’ wishes are held hostage to a minority who are opposed to any revenue increases, even those which pay for needed services. Let’s not forget that this minority denied the citizens of CA the opportunity to vote to raise any revenue. What are they afraid of?