LISTEN: California could reopen by June 15, ’The Rock’ will pay for your quac and more on Tahoe Talk podcast
Here are some conversation starters from around the globe and within your local community to add to your social toolkit.
– Gov Newsom tweeted yesterday that CA positivity rate is 1.5% – lowest in the nation and lowest in CA since the beginning of the pandemic
– Last week El Dorado County was able to push into the orange tier but up on the north shore and Truckee, Placer and Nevada counties are still in the red – gov also announced some tweaks to the color tiers and said that a county will only move back into a more restricted tier if hospitalizations among vulnerable residents, including those vaccinated, significantly increase – case and positivity rates must also show a “concerning increase” to move backward – like through most of the pandemic, we don’t really know what “significantly and concerning” increases mean
– But on the brighter side, they also announced CA getting totally open by June 15 (masks will most certainly stay, but I think we can all live with that for a bit longer)
– One of the bigger stories that happened as we headed into the weekend was the rockslide that happened early Friday morning east of echo summit on highway 50 that shut the highway down completely for most of the day. There was an SUV that got caught in the slide, but thankfully no injuries.
– As we head into the summer months and you folks that enjoy boating on the lake, might want to take note of the new law that went into effect on April 1 that says boat drivers must wear a lanyard that is attached to the engine so that if the driver leaves, the boat shuts off – the kill switch law is for boats with 3 or more HP and less than 26 feet in length – fines up to $100 for a first offense and $500 by the third but coast guard says working on more of an educational approach the first year
– A Cancer Surviving Girl Scout Broke the Record, Selling over 32K Boxes of Cookies… Now that’s a lot of dough.! Proceeds will go to childhood cancer research and to an organization that feeds the homeless. Lilly didn’t just conquer America, she conquered the world. In addition to selling cookies in all 50 states, her customer base spans Canada, England, Spain, Paris, Rome, and as far away as Egypt.
– The Rock will pay for your quac! 5/1-5/5 Dwyane Johnson will foot the bill for your order of guacamole, but there’s a catch, you have to order his tequila “Teremana”
– Jersey Mike’s Donated 100% of Sales From 1,900 Stores in Their Biggest ‘Day of Giving’ in 11 Years. With a company goal of raising $8 million, Jersey Mike’s Subs blew past that mark during their Annual Month of Giving to raise an incredible $15 million to help more than 200 charities nationwide. – “Base-to-Base” Gondola From Squaw Valley to Alpine Meadows, CA Confirmed. Alterra announced on Monday that the long-anticipated construction will happen this summer! $60M, 8 passengers, 16 mins, 1,400 ppl per hour, 4 terminals, 3 on/off points, and making it the 3rd largest resort in North America!
– 4/15: Normally tax day, but also Natl High Five Day, but also Natl That Sucks Day – so, sounds like the perfect time to pull the fast one on your friends!
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The 4th annual Tahoe Brewfest is set for Saturday, Sept 25, with all proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Club of Lake Tahoe.