LISTEN: Local vaccines coming to Tahoe region, snow on the way and more on Tahoe Talk podcast
From around the globe to out your backdoor, here are the topics to keep you relevant and up-to-date!
• Local vaccines are set to hit the region tomorrow through Friday locally
• Gov. Sisolak extends Nevada’s “pause”
• Divisive dynamic within Lake Tahoe mind shutdowns across stateliness
• CA Conservancy announces massive restoration project
• More snow on the way!
• Google has announced their top search terms for 2020 — Interesting list to check out online. Wanna know how to find it? Just google “top search trends 2020”
• Disney+ casually racks up 70m+ subscribers in the last year plus huge announcement of 10 new Star Wars spinoffs 10 new Marvel shows, 15 Pixar animations and rights to the Kardashians
• Amazon’s self-driving car startup “Zoox” unveiled a fully autonomous EV with no steering wheel, basically a robotaxi — it can go for 16 hours at up to 75 mph on a single charge. (Go check out the photos of this ride!)
• NASA just released some spectacular Hubble telescope images for the first time in years. 30 photos to celebrate it’s 30 anniversary in space.
– Cleveland’s MLB team to drop the Indians nickname after 105 years becoming the latest professional sports franchise to shed its Native American imagery amid racist claims
• Manhattan Beach keeps outdoor restaurant space open by a vote from city officials reclassifying it to “public seating”
Holidays by the Numbers:
$230: That’s how much the average American will spend on holiday decorations, candy, food and cards this year. Among the holiday spending categories tracked by the National Retail Federation, it’s the only one that’s expected to rise this year. The group estimates average gift spending will fall 1.4% to $650.
25-45 Million: Americans spend about $2B annually on fresh and fake Christmas trees — approx. 25-30M real pines, and 10-15M artificial trees.
30% to 50%: That’s how much the light intensity in American suburbs rises every year between Black Friday and New Year’s. All that holiday sparkle shows up on electric bills: Running 10 strings of 100 mini-lights costs about $35 over the course of the season.
Friday, 12/18: Nat’l Ugly Sweater Day
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Listen: Greater Sacramento Region moves back to purple, Sahara gets snow and more on Tahoe Talk podcast
Here are some conversation starters from around the globe and within your local community to add to your social toolkit: