Local firefighting strike team’s SoCal trip nixed | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Local firefighting strike team’s SoCal trip nixed

On Thursday afternoon, authorities canceled the order for firefighters from five Tahoe-area agencies to deploy to Southern California to stand by during Santa Ana winds.

“They canceled the strike team at about one o’clock yesterday,” said Capt. Rick Russ of North Tahoe Fire Protection District on Friday.

A day later, a fire driven by the feared winds swept through a portion of Malibu, destroying at least 35 homes.



Included in a cooperative regional agreement, Truckee, North Tahoe, Incline, Tahoe Douglas and Lake Valley Fire Protection Districts had been set to dispatch engines and crew to San Bernardino County Friday, to stand by for potentially dangerous fire conditions. Forecasters had predicted fierce Santa Ana winds and low humidity.

Since the aid was part of a massive mobilization of resources from CalFire, the Forest Service and local agencies, state Office of Emergency Services had already placed 100 engines and 1,000 personnel on standby in Southern California since Tuesday, said CalFire Spokesman Daniel Berlant.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User