5 hurt, including family of 4, in head-on crash near Lake Tahoe
January 27, 2016
TAHOE VISTA, Calif. — Five people were hurt — one of whom suffered major injuries and was flown to Reno via Care Flight helicopter — after a head-on crash Sunday morning between Truckee and North Lake Tahoe.
According to the California Highway Patrol, Maxwell Edward Jones, 19, of Sutter Creek, Calif., was driving a 2002 Subaru at 45 mph at about 6:30 a.m. northbound on Highway 267 just south of Kingswood Drive in Tahoe Vista.
For reasons unknown, Jones allowed his vehicle to drive into the northbound lane, and the Subaru crashed head on with a 2014 Lincoln occupied by a family of four from Durham, Calif., which was traveling at 55 mph.
Jones suffered major injuries in the crash and was transported via helicopter to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno.
Two of the family members — Treasa Marie Larrabee, 55, and Eric Larrabee, 52, who were in the front seats of the Lincoln — also suffered major injuries and were transported by ground ambulance to Renown.
Two 13-year-old children were also in the Lincoln, sitting in the backseat, and suffered minor injuries. They also were transported by ground ambulance to Renown.
Recommended Stories For You
The incident remains under investigation, although alcohol and drugs are not suspected as a factor, according to CHP.
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million