Abandoned campfire to blame for small weekend blaze at North Tahoe
June 3, 2014
KINGS BEACH, Calif. — The North Tahoe Fire Protection District responded with numerous units to a report of an abandoned campfire early Sunday morning in Kings Beach near Cutthroat Street.
A column of smoke could be seen, according to a North Tahoe Fire press release, and crews quickly extinguished the 20-by-30-foot ground fire. The U.S. Forest Service and Calfire also responded.
"North Tahoe Fire would like to remind the public that campfires are only allowed in approved campgrounds with a proper permit that allow campfires, and that all outside yard debris burning has ended due to a very dangerous fire conditions," officials said.
To learn more about how to stay safe during what North Tahoe Fire is calling a "never-ending fire season," visit http://www.ntfire.net.
Trending In: Local
- Flash Mob carries on despite dumping snow in Truckee
- February snowfall records fall at Truckee-Tahoe resorts
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Town of Truckee: Taking over library might not be feasible
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store