Chief’s Corner: Replacing your important papers |

Chief’s Corner: Replacing your important papers

NLTFPD Chief Mike Brown

EDITOR’S NOTE: “Chief’s Corner” is a regular feature in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza from North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District Chief Mike Brown, offering information, tips and education material on fire safety, emergency preparedness and other pertinent topics.

Have you ever lost valuable personal documents? Whatever your circumstance, whether destroyed or misplaced, these items contain valuable information that can be challenging to get duplicates.

Consider keeping a list of ways to get duplicates of destroyed or missing documents. The following is a partial list to keep in your safe deposit box or home fire safe box:

• Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce Certificates –

• Passport, Visas, Adoption Documents –

• Driver’s License, Vehicle Registration Documents –

• Military Records – Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, VFW or Red Cross, or download from

• Mortgage Papers – Contact your lending institution

• Property Deeds – Contact the recorder’s office in the county where the property is located. For Washoe County, go to

• Insurance Policies – Contact the insurance company for replacement papers

• Social Security Card – Go to

• Transcript of Your Tax Return –

• Savings Bonds/Notes – Complete Form PDF 1048 (Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds); available by calling 304-480-7711 or at

• Credit Cards – American Express, 800-528-4800; Discover, 800-347-2683; MasterCard, 800-622-7747; Visa, 800-847-2911

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.