Crews put out 3rd house fire this year in Tahoe neighborhood | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Crews put out 3rd house fire this year in Tahoe neighborhood

North Tahoe crews quickly put out a fire that started on a deck at this home last Tuesday in the Talmont neighborhood in Tahoe City.
Courtesy Dave Zaski |

TAHOE CITY, Calif. — Officials quickly extinguished a small house fire last week in a neighborhood that’s seen two other blazes this year.

North Tahoe Fire Protection District crews responded to the fire at 2105 Green Glen Court in the Talmont area of Tahoe City at about noon on Tuesday, Sept. 17.

High winds that day caused a barbecue to blow over, starting the home’s deck on fire, Dave Zaski, the district’s pubic information officer, said Monday.



A neighbor spotted smoke and called 911, Zaski said. North Tahoe Engine 51 arrived within minutes, and the fire was put out before it could enter the home. No one was hurt in the incident.

“Our firefighters definitely did a great job — they went right after it,” Zaski said.




Crews from Calfire, Squaw Valley Fire Department and U.S. Forest Service assisted to ensure surrounding wildland was not threatened, Zaski said.

The incident should remind residents the constant dangers of wildfire in the Truckee/Tahoe region, he said, and the importance of performing defensible space.

Defensible space is the buffer between a house and an oncoming wildfire, in which vegetation has been modified to reduce the threat. Ways to create defensible space include removing dead plants from your yard, cleaning up dead and dry pine needles and leaves and trimming trees to keep branches away from those on other trees.

Last week’s fire was the third in the Talmont neighborhood this year, all accidentally caused.

In the early morning hours of June 19, a fire destroyed a home at 1895 Silver Tip Drive. The home’s lone occupant escaped with his dog; both were not hurt. “Smoking materials” started the fire, according to previous reports.

On Jan. 13, a home at 491 Club Drive was destroyed and its four occupants were displaced due to a fire that started after an ember escaped the home’s fireplace. The occupants’ three dogs reportedly died in the blaze.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User