IVGID Tip: How to barbecue pork ribs sans smoker
August 27, 2014
The aroma of smoky ribs will be in full force at the Rib Cook-off this weekend and many will want to replicate this aroma at home. Not everyone has a fancy smoker so here is a great way to prepare barbecue ribs by using your oven and a barbecue grill.
1. Choose a rib with a lot of meat. St. Louis-style ribs are my personal favorite.
2. Remove any skin from the backside of the ribs.
3. Rub with your favorite barbecue seasoning. I suggest making your own so you can control the salt level. Dry or wet rubs work equally well for this purpose.
4. Cook in the oven, uncovered on a sheet pan at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 hours. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour.
5. Grill on the barbecue or bake in the oven for 10 minutes per side.
Recommended Stories For You
6. Apply barbecue sauce. Homemade or store bought barbecue sauce will work fine. I suggest thinning the sauce with water, apple juice, or whiskey. Most store brand sauces are high in sugar and sugar on a grill will lead to burnt meat if you are not careful. Keep turning the ribs once you apply barbecue sauce to prevent burning.
7. Allow finished ribs to rest for 15 minutes before cutting. A neat trick to cutting ribs is to turn them upside down (ribs facing up) so you can see the bones and make nice clean cuts.
This tip was provided by William Vandenburg, Executive Chef for The Grille at The Chateau, Incline Village Golf Courses and Diamond Peak Ski Resort.
"Tip of the week" is a weekly feature running in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, in partnership with the Incline Village General Improvement District, providing locals with various tips pertaining to the recreation opportunities and services the district provides. This tip was provided by William Vandenburg, Executive Chef for The Grille at The Chateau, Incline Village Golf Courses and Diamond Peak Ski Resort.
Trending In: Local
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Old Tahoe City firehouse could get a makeover