Lake Tahoe weather: Winter advisory Friday night; 5-10 inches of snow likely
December 20, 2015
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A small winter storm is expected to bring close to a foot of snow to the greater Truckee-Tahoe region overnight Friday and into Saturday.
The region will be under a winter weather advisory from 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18, to noon on Saturday, Dec. 19, according to the National Weather Service in Reno.
Five to 10 inches of snow is possible along and west of Highway 89, according to NWS, with 2 to 5 inches possible elsewhere at lake and ground level.
"Snow will develop (Friday) evening and continue through Saturday, with the heaviest snow late (Friday night) and Saturday morning," according to the advisory.
As is the case with most Sierra storms, conditions will make driving a challenge. Snow tire or chain restrictions may be in effect along most highways and passes, including Interstate 80, U.S. Highway 50, California highways 28, 89 and 267, and Nevada highways 28, 207 and 431.
Follow SierraSun.com all winter long on Facebook for weather and snow updates.
Trending In: Local
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Old Tahoe City firehouse could get a makeover
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City