Lake Tahoe weather: Winter advisory Friday night; 5-10 inches of snow likely
December 20, 2015
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A small winter storm is expected to bring close to a foot of snow to the greater Truckee-Tahoe region overnight Friday and into Saturday.
The region will be under a winter weather advisory from 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18, to noon on Saturday, Dec. 19, according to the National Weather Service in Reno.
Five to 10 inches of snow is possible along and west of Highway 89, according to NWS, with 2 to 5 inches possible elsewhere at lake and ground level.
"Snow will develop (Friday) evening and continue through Saturday, with the heaviest snow late (Friday night) and Saturday morning," according to the advisory.
As is the case with most Sierra storms, conditions will make driving a challenge. Snow tire or chain restrictions may be in effect along most highways and passes, including Interstate 80, U.S. Highway 50, California highways 28, 89 and 267, and Nevada highways 28, 207 and 431.
Follow SierraSun.com all winter long on Facebook for weather and snow updates.
Trending In: Local
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move
- Truckee police arrest woman on assault, child cruelty charges