Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care releases golden eagle
September 28, 2016
On Sept. 25, Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care released a male golden eagle that had been living at the South Lake Tahoe rehabilitation center for just over a month.
"He was ready to go. When he came in, he was extremely thin and wasn't flying very well," LTWC founder Tom Millham said.
A few weeks ago, volunteers and staff began taking the eagle out for exercise time in which the bird would practice flying. He grew better each day.
Millham began eying Sept. 25 as a release date approximately two weeks ago. On the 19th, the golden eagle continued flight improvement during practice and exercise time.
"It confirmed my thought he was ready to go. The last flight and exercise training was on Friday (the 23rd). He flew about 15 times and didn't really get winded. I was confident he would do well," Millham said.
On Sunday, LTWC released the eagle at Carson Pass, and the release went exactly as Millham expected.
Recommended Stories For You
"On several instances at that location when we let birds go, they just soar down, down, down towards the lake before catching a thermal and coming back up. This one, I don't think he went down at all. That doesn't happen very often," Millham explained.
For more information on Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care, visit ltwc.org or find the organization on Facebook.
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million