Man apparently drowns in Lake Tahoe; investigation underway
June 28, 2016
MEEKS BAY, Calif. — A man likely drowned this weekend in Lake Tahoe off the southwest shore, officials said.
According to a Monday statement from El Dorado County Sheriff's Office Lt. Jim Byers, deputies were notified at about 11:35 a.m. Saturday, June 25, "of an apparent drowning" in the water east of Meeks Bay.
"The reporting party had found an unresponsive man in the water with an unoccupied personal watercraft drifting nearby," according to the statement. "The reporting party was transporting the victim to the Cave Rock boat ramp for medical treatment."
EDSO officials "immediately" launched an investigation, Byers said, and not long after the man was pronounced dead by paramedics at the Cave Rock boat ramp — located across the lake on the East Shore.
"At this time there is an active accident investigation to determine if the operation of the personal watercraft was the cause of the man's death," Byers said Monday.
The man's name has yet to be released, pending notification of next of kin.
Recommended Stories For You
Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to call EDSO at 530-621-6600.
Trending In: Local
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Lake Tahoe-area resorts announce Friday as 2018-19 season opener
- Truckee’s Wolverines to face Greenwave for state championship
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Local business spearheading effort to help Camp Fire evacuees, first responders