Mature savings I-bond becomes a gift to man’s grandchildren |

Mature savings I-bond becomes a gift to man’s grandchildren

Bruce Williams
Smart Money

DEAR BRUCE: I have a $10,000 I-bond that nearly doubled in value and is about to mature. Can you advise as to the tax consequences to both me and my grandchildren should I gift it to them? — G.D.

DEAR G.D.: This shouldn’t be a problem at all. You can take your bond down to any bank you do business with and, as a courtesy, it will compute the tax consequences that will be yours. Once you pay those taxes, the bond is yours free and clear, and you can give up to $14,000 a year to anyone you choose, including your grandchildren, with no taxes due from them. You could, of course, go to a CPA you use for other work, and he or she can do the computation for you.

DEAR BRUCE: My uncle passed away several years ago. I am now finding out he had two stocks that have been unclaimed. I inherited some what he had with a broker, but he apparently purchased these two stocks himself and they aren’t attached to what I inherited. I need to investigate who the beneficiary is. How do I go about finding out where the stock is being held? — L.B.

DEAR L.B.: First, you have to know what state your uncle passed away in. It will have a department that will hold the unclaimed stocks forever. You’ll have to make out an application and declare yourself the beneficiary of those stocks. Of course, you will have to prove that you’re the next person in line for such a claim. If you have a problem doing this and if the value of the stocks is high, you’re going to want to hire an attorney to handle it.

(Send questions to Questions of general interest will be answered in future columns. Owing to the volume of mail, personal replies cannot be provided.)

Support Local Journalism

The Bruce Williams Radio Show can now be heard 24/7 via iTunes and at It is also available at


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User