Mudslide closes westbound I-80 near CA/NV state line
July 26, 2013
UPDATE: According to various media sources, the interstate was fully open to through traffic by about 10 p.m. Thursday.
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A mudslide triggered by summertime rainstorms late Thursday afternoon has closed westbound Interstate 80 about four miles west of the California-Nevada border, according to Caltrans.
Caltrans crews were en route to the mudslide at about 5 p.m. Thursday. The slide is covering the westbound lanes at Farad, Calif., with mud and debris, according to the department.
Westbound traffic is being held at the state line. One eastbound lane was closed to allow westbound traffic to turn around.
There was no estimated time for the opening of the interstate as of 5 p.m. Thursday.
Caltrans will provide updates on Twitter @D3PIO and on Facebook at CaltransDistrict 3.
Trending In: Local
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Town of Truckee: Taking over library might not be feasible
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- February snowfall records fall at local resorts
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store