No one hurt after gas leak forces Tahoe City elementary school into lockdown | SierraSun.com

No one hurt after gas leak forces Tahoe City elementary school into lockdown

Margaret Moran
mmoran@sierrasun.com

TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A natural gas leak in a residential neighborhood forced one Tahoe City school to go into lockdown and shelter in place Thursday morning, an fire official said.

Crews responded to the leak on Red Cedar Street at around 9:48 a.m., taking nearly two hours to stop it, said Dave Zaski, spokesman for the North Tahoe Fire Protection District.

No one was hurt in the incident, and no fires resulted from the gas leak, he said.

During that time, two Tahoe City residential streets — Red Cedar and Jackpine — were evacuated, and Tahoe Lake Elementary School on Grove Street was put in lockdown as a precaution.

The school resumed normal operation, and the streets are no longer evacuated as of early Thursday afternoon, Zaski said.

The cause of the leak is believed to be due to a piece of excavation equipment working in the area. Since no fire resulted, Southwest Gas will investigate, he said.

Recommended Stories For You

Crews from North Tahoe Fire Protection District and Squaw Valley Fire Department, along with several Placer County Sheriff's Office units, also responded.