One person killed in 16-vehicle crash Thursday on I-80
September 21, 2017
A 16-vehicle crash shut down westward bound traffic on Interstate 80 near Eagle Lakes on Thursday, Sept. 21.
The collisions happened at a time when it was hailing. There was one fatality, and some of the drivers suffered injuries.
— Caltrans District 3 (@CaltransDist3) September 21, 2017
There was an initial crash of one vehicle that turned into a domino effect of multiple collisions, according to Chris Nave, Public Information Officer for the California Highway Patrol.
Recommended Stories For You
“We've got changeable weather right now, with anything from sun to rain to snow,” said Nave. “In these conditions, you have to slow down and use caution.”
The highway reopened at 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon.
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million