Sierra Speaker Series: Canine search for the Donner Family camps at Alder Creek
April 9, 2018
The Sierra State Parks Foundation presents an evening with John Grenbenkemper of the Institute for Canine Forensics on April 21 at the Donner Memorial State Park Visitor Center located at 12593 Donner Pass Road, Truckee.
Recent explorations by canines from the Institute for Canine Forensics have located human remains scent in the Alder Creek area. Grenbenkemper will discuss the results and the implications on the Donner Party's winter camps at Alder Creek.
"What an exciting thought! Utilizing a less common and non-invasive resource to learn more about the mystery surrounding the Donner Party! I am looking forward to this talk," said Denise Tran, events coordinator for the Sierra State Parks Foundation.
Doors open at 5 p.m. with the program starting at 5:30. There is a $5 suggested donation to attend, while the State Park parking fee is waived for the evening. Complementary light snacks and wine available for purchase.
For more information about the Sierra Speaker Series and other events sponsored by the Sierra State Parks Foundation, call 530-583-9911 or visit http://www.SierraStateParks.org.
Source: Sierra State Parks Foundation
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million