Small plane crashes Thursday near Truckee airport
May 23, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Crews were in the process of rescuing the lone occupant of a small plane that went down Thursday afternoon near Truckee Tahoe Airport, according to the Nevada County Sheriff's Office.
At about 3 p.m., NCSO received a report that a single-engine aircraft crashed 7 miles east of the airport, near the California/Nevada border, said Undersheriff Joseph Salivar. The report came from the plane's occupant, using a cellphone. His injuries were unknown.
Helicopter rescue crews from Calfire and the California Highway Patrol assisted in airlifting the victim from the crash site.
The cause of the crash is unknown. It was unclear as of late Thursday if the plane was flying to or from the Truckee airport.
The investigation has been turned over to the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Trending In: Local
- February snowfall records fall at local resorts
- Town of Truckee: Taking over library might not be feasible
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store