SoCal man, 42, drowns in Lake Tahoe (updated)
July 30, 2014
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A 42-year-old Southern California man died Monday afternoon in a drowning incident at Sand Harbor State Park, officials said.
Rescuers responded to the area of Diver's Cove at about 4:50 p.m. Monday, said North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Ryan Sommers.
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Spokewoman Tami Cummings said the man — whose name has not been released — was swimming about 50 yards from shore and calling for help, and a bystander swam out to rescue him.
Lifeguards and firefighters performed CPR and used a defibrillator to try to revive him, but were unsuccessful.
WCSO Sgt. John Hamilton confirmed Monday the man drowned while swimming.
A CareFlight helicopter was called to the scene, and several emergency personnel also responded.
Trending In: Local
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Truckee-Tahoe resort community to add 16 new luxury homes in Old Greenwood
- A longer Legacy: Truckee council looks to expand trail
- VIDEO: Alpine coaster debuts at Tahoe’s Heavenly summer adventure park
- Street repaving to begin in coming weeks