Sunshine Letter | Truckee softball tournament honors family, friends
August 27, 2014
Softball good for all
To watch a young boy cheer his father on personifies the purpose of the annual Optimist sponsored one-day softball tournament.
In 1996 Steve Baumann and Chad Barnett lost their lives in a unpredictable storm at Pyramid lake. Steve left behind an 8-year-old son Ryan, a beautiful little 4-year-old girl Shannan. His pretty wife Melinda was determined to survive and raise her children perfectly and beautifully.
To remember Steve and Chad as well as raise money for Steve's family, Dan O' Gorman thought up the softball tournament idea — a way to bring families and friends together as Steve and Chad had always done. This was our 18th tournament year.
I would like to thank Dan O' Gorman and the Truckee-Donner Park & Recreation; Blue Coyote Grill and Bar for all the food; Craig Fierro of Auto Glass Express; Bob Shaffer of Shaffer Sealing; Bob Stone of Stone's Country Tire; The Smurfs softball team; and The Truckee Merchants softball team for their support.
The proceeds of this year's Tournament are going to the Truckee High School Baseball team in memory of #43 Mike Ellis, head baseball coach for over 10 years.
Recommended Stories For You
Jon Traeger of the Truckee Optimist
Trending In: Local
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Tahoe City moving forward with affordable housing project