Sunsine Letter | Saving Truckee Tahoe, one bag at a time
October 9, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. – One plastic bag at a time
About 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide every year. That's over one million plastic bags used every minute.
But this is changing, and part of it is because of you, Truckee! More and more people have been coming out of our local grocery stores carrying reusable shopping bags for their groceries. After one year of not having one-time use plastic shopping bags in Truckee, we will be saving over 6,200,000 plastic bags. Each of these bags could have taken 10,000 years to break down completely, and each individual bag was made with enough petroleum to drive a car 115 meters, which means that one year's worth of plastic bags in Truckee could have driven your car from Truckee to New York City 159 times!
As a community, we are striving to make not only the beautiful Truckee Tahoe area cleaner, but the whole planet too. We would like to thank you all, as a community, for all the hard work that you have put in to keep our town and world a cleaner place.
Thank you for your support Truckee,
Addi Wingate and Kaya Wooley
Trending In: Local
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Work to be done: Nevada County economic model is unsustainable
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Truckee Town Council race too tight to call
- Truckee Town Council moves forward with McIver Dairy restoration