Tahoe agency to host free ‘Bear Smart’ training for businesses
March 9, 2015
INCLINE VILLAGE Nev. — Incline Village Public Works last week announced it is starting a free "Bear Smart" training program for Incline Village/Crystal Bay businesses.
The program is launching this month, according to an Incline Village General Improvement District press release, and is "specifically tailored toward restaurants, but can be offered to any interested business in the community."
Business owners/managers should contact IVGID Waste Not at 775-832-1284 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the program and schedule a free one-hour staff training.
To be eligible, businesses must:
1. Have a solid record of one year of compliance with solid waste and attractant management,
2. Maintain ongoing compliance with solid waste and attractant management,
Recommended Stories For You
3. Have employees attend a one-hour Bear Smart training,
4. Reschedule annual or biannual employee trainings to accommodate seasonal staff turnover.
5. Display Bear Smart information in staff areas; and
6. Provide educational materials to patrons on display or upon request.
For restaurants located in multi-business commercial complexes, the status of trash management for the entire complex is a consideration for certification, according to IVGID.
"In general, these properties will not be certified until the complex invests in enclosure or container improvements," officials said.
According to IVGID, the Incline program is modeled after a similar one in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
"This training is part of the ongoing community efforts to promote co-existence with wildlife," according to the district.
Visit yourtahoeplace.com/public-works/waste-not to learn more.