Tahoe Expedition Academy to launch high school courses
KINGS BEACH, Calif. – For the 2013-2014 school year, Tahoe Expedition Academy plans to launch a ninth-grade class in 2013-14, and each subsequent year plans to add a grade level with the eventual goal if 9-12 high school courses.
According to a press release from the Kings Beach-based nonprofit education organization, while the school’s current K-8 population will continue to belong to the Expeditionary Learning network, TEA intends to attain accreditation from the Western Association of Independent Schools and Colleges for its high school endeavor.
Following will be three primary areas of focus for the high school:
• High-Level Academics, Foreign Language Acquisition and Inspiring Art Programs: Core subjects of science, math and the humanities are the backbones of the curriculum; academic skills like critical thinking, researching and public speaking are taught across the curriculum; foreign language acquisition facilitates national and international travel; the arts enable students to develop creativity and inspiration.
• Adventure, Athletics and Nutrition: Adventure and exploration are integrated into our academic and athletic programs; adventure-based sports like rock-climbing, sailing, mountain biking, biathlon and skiing provide students with healthy avenues and exciting opportunities; team sports like soccer and lacrosse foster teamwork and community; emphasis on physical well-being and nutrition enable students to achieve their potential as athletes.
• Character, Citizenship and Service: Character building guides each student’s personal growth and builds a strong community of learners; local, national and international field studies allow students to develop into world citizens; hands-on engagement with communities provide ample service opportunities.
“Attaining membership to this organization will provide our students with options in higher education beyond high school,” said Taylor Simmers, founder and co-director at Tahoe Expedition Academy, in the press release. “At the same time, our Academic Counselors will help each student’s with possible internship, volunteer or travel opportunities throughout and possibly after their high school experience.”
Tahoe Expedition Academy will host a series of forums about the high school for parents to learn more:
• Wednesday, Feb. 27, 6-7:30 p.m. at IV Coffee Lab, 907 Tahoe Blvd., Incline Village.
• Wednesday, March 6, 6-7:30 p.m., at The Alpine Club, 5001 Northstar Drive, The Village of Northstar.
• Wednesday, March 13, 6-7:30 p.m., at Tahoe City Uncorked, 475 North Lake Tahoe Blvd., Tahoe City.
Please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, call the school at 530-546-LAKE (5253) or visit tahoeexpeditionacademy.org.