Tahoe Lake Elementary students evacuated due to gas leak
February 25, 2019
A gas leak was reported this morning at Rideout Community Center in Tahoe City, which currently houses Tahoe Lake Elementary School students while the school is under construction.
The leak, which was believed to be caused by the weight of falling snow and ice, was noticed just before school started, and has been contained, said Kelli Twomey, Tahoe Truckee Unified School District parent and community relations coordinator.
Twomey said the students who had already arrived at school were immediately evacuated on school buses to North Tahoe High School.
"All the kids were with their teachers," she said, adding that parents had the option of picking their children up from the high school any time during the day.
The Placer County Sheriff's Office reported that the scene had been cleared at 11 a.m.
Hannah Jones is a reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at 530-550-2652 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Local
- Coming soon: a theater near you – Truckee Art Haus on track for downtown
- Truckee man accused of raping teen
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee
- Local skiing legend Mancuso announces pregnancy
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region