Tahoe League for Charity awards $4,000 to 6 area nonprofits
On September 12th, the Tahoe League for Charity held its annual Grant Award luncheon at Jake’s on the Lake in Tahoe City. In all, $4,000 was distributed to six grant award recipients.
Awards were granted to the following:
• Meri McEneny, representative for AAUW, which is sponsoring six middle school girls to Tech Trek Camp at UC Davis for a week of science technology and math. This camp is designed to develop interest, excitement and self confidence in young women entering eighth grade. Learn more at aauwtechtrek.org.
• Carol Meagher represented KidZone, a nonprofit museum encouraging family participation in helping children learn through exhibits, events and literacy. Learn more at kidzonemuseum.org.
• Samantha Loudon from Wylie Animal Rescue Foundation, an organization that has supported low income pet owners for two decades with veterinarian services, spay/neuter services and pet food. Learn more at tahoewarf.com.
• Sarah Deardoff from Sierra Senior Services, a nonprofit that for 15 years has served meals to needy families. This past fiscal year, more than 38,000 meals was provided to seniors in our community. Learn more at sierraseniors.org.
• Deidre Ledford represented Project MANA, a hunger relief agency that distributes food every week at four distribution centers throughout the North Lake Tahoe/Truckee region. Learn more at projectmana.org.
• Megan Seifert represented Headwaters Science Institute, a nonprofit organization that sets out to change science education by hastening the moment of true scientific exploration, experience science beyond textbooks and practice curiosity to encourage students to find answers on their own. Learn more at headwatersscienceinstitute.org.
Each representative spoke on behalf of her nonprofit, explaining its mission, projected endeavors and current fundraising events.
TLC has awarded grants for over $330,000 to the community since its founding in 1999. Each year it is our pleasure to award other nonprofits and assist them with their financial needs.
Our next month’s meeting will be held at the Maritime Museum in Tahoe City. It is open to TLC members and their guests. For inquiries for this event, call 530-583-8938.
Linda Schwoob is Publicity Chair for Tahoe League for Charity. Visit tahoeleagueforcharity.org for information.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User