Tahoe recipe: Valentine’s Day chocolate-covered strawberries
February 13, 2015
First of all, what is "it'? Could it be, "thanks for giving birth to my children"? Or, perhaps, "would you please wash my car?" Maybe "it" is "Hi honey, I forgot to take out the trash again and I'm at the gym, would you mind?"
No, the big "it" on Valentine's Day is "I love you." This year, forgo the homemade coupons for massages you never honor anyway and say it right with chocolate.
Now, I'm not talking about that discount heart-shaped box you grab off the display by the register at your local grocer. This time put some thought — and some fruit — in it with chocolate covered strawberries.
These beauties have become surprisingly easy to make since I have discovered Dolci frutta®, the best invention since brie cheese in a triangle-shaped tub. So good.
They only take about thirty minutes to prepare and the dividends will pay off until, well, next Valentine's Day. You might even get a car wash (inside included) out of it.
Chocolate covered strawberries ingredients:
Recommended Stories For You
1 tub Dolci frutta
1 pound cold strawberries, the bigger the better
Wash and dry strawberries, leave on green stems, and set aside on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Remove lid and seal from Dolci frutta.
Microwave container on half power (medium), stirring at 30 second intervals until fully melted and smooth. It takes about two minutes to get to the chocolate wafers to this smooth consistency.
When this is done, dip strawberries, holding them by stem, into the chocolate and transfer to cookie sheet. Repeat until all strawberries are coated. Leave these at room temperature to harden, do not place in refrigerator.
When ready to serve, transfer to a pretty plate, accompanied by some very good coffee. This chocolate, in my opinion, does not go well with champagne. In fact, it may be the only thing that does not go well with champagne.
Save the bubbly for the lavender scented bath I am sure you were planning to prepare for her later.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen "must-haves" and food news at email@example.com.
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million