Tahoe snowstorm could bring 18 inches by Thursday
March 25, 2014
LAKE TAHOE — A cold spring storm could bring a foot and a half of snow to the greater Truckee/Tahoe region by Thursday.
A winter weather advisory begins late Tuesday night and is in effect until 5 a.m. Thursday, according to the National Weather Service in Reno.
Twelve to 18 inches of snow is possible above 7,000 feet, with 3 to 8 inches expected at lake level. Snow levels are expected to lower to 6,500 feet by Tuesday evening, according to NWS, and below lake level Wednesday morning.
Snow levels could get as low as 5,500 feet by Wednesday evening. Wind gusts could create blustery travel conditions; chain and/or snow tire restrictions are expected along most major regional highways.
Average low temperatures for the Truckee/Tahoe region should be in the mid- to upper-20s into the weekend, according to NWS.
Trending In: Local
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits