Truckee Police release ‘frightened’ bear that locked itself in truck
May 2, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Officers with the Truckee Police Department responded to a different type of vehicle break-in Wednesday evening.
According to a press release from the department, a juvenile black bear gained entry into an unlocked truck on the 11500 block of Saint Bernard Drive in Tahoe Donner "and promptly got stuck in the vehicle when the door shut behind it … officers arrived and quickly released the frightened bear."
There was significant damage to the interior of the truck, according to police, as well as bear scat left inside.
"Residents are encouraged to lock their vehicles and not keep any food or other odiferous items in their cars that would attract hungry bears," police said.
For more information about the Truckee/Tahoe region's black bear population, including tips to how to be more bear aware, visit the website of the nonprofit BEAR League.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Nevada County Elections: Klovstad, Goodwin, Polivy win Truckee Town Council seats