Truckee’s first baby of 2016: Wyatt Randall Johns, of Portola
January 12, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The first baby of the new year at Tahoe Forest Hospital arrived nearly a full day into 2016.
Wyatt Randall Johns was born at 11:03 p.m. Friday, Jan. 1, weighing 8 pounds, 13.8 ounces and measuring 19.5 inches, according to the hospital.
Wyatt's mother, Julie Boren, said having the first baby of the new year didn't really come as a surprise
"I kind of knew," Boren said in a statement. "My due date was the 31st. I think it's really cool. I lucked out."
Wyatt's father, Robert Johns, who has a 3-year-old daughter named Kasiya, added: "New Year's Day is a really unique birthday."
Wyatt marks the third generation of the Boren family to be born at Tahoe Forest Hospital, with Julie and her father, Brooke Boren, delivered there.
Recommended Stories For You
The parents, who live in nearby Portola, were presented with a gift basket by the Tahoe Forest Hospital Women and Family Center in honor of the 2016 New Year's baby.
It was filled with items donated by community members and local merchants including handcrafted chocolates, various gift certificates and cards, and soaps.
Visit tfhd.com to learn more about Tahoe Forest Hospital.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- Town of Truckee looking to relocate downtown transit center
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted