Underage drinking, drug abuse focus of April 8 Truckee panel
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Did you know in the last California Healthy Kids Survey completed by Truckee-Tahoe students in seventh, ninth and 11th grades, that:
• 52 percent of 11th-graders reported they consumed at least one drink within the last 30 days?
• 47 percent of 11th-graders reported when they do drink, they drink to get drunk, consuming five or more drinks at a time?
• 30 percent of 11th-graders categorized themselves as weekly drinkers?
• 51 percent of ninth-graders reported they have been a passenger in a car driven by someone who had been drinking?
• 33 percent of 11th-graders report using marijuana within the last 30 days?
• Truckee Tahoe’s reported use rates are substantially higher than the state average?
Considering alcohol is by far the drug of choice for Truckee-Tahoe’s youth, it is important to understand the dynamics around teen and adolescent drinking.
Underage drinking is a public health problem that is best addressed through the combined efforts of all sectors of a community.
At Good Morning Truckee next Tuesday, Officer Ryan Moreau from the Truckee Police Department and River Coyote of the Tahoe-Truckee Futures without Drug Dependence will detail how prevalent the problem is in the Truckee community.
They will outline ways the community can work together to open dialogue about underage alcohol use to prevent underage drinking, reduce a young person’s risk of using alcohol, or increase factors that help protect them against alcohol use.
Attendees will also meet Trax, Truckee’s first police dog. Trax’s handler, Officer Andrew Holbrook, will discuss the training of a police dog, and ways in which Trax is helping sniff out contraband drugs in the community and in Truckee-Tahoe schools.
Good Morning Truckee is a community forum to provide timely and relevant information on a variety of topics and create a networking opportunity.
Meetings are open to the public and held the second Tuesday of every month at Truckee Tahoe Airport from 7-8:30 a.m.
Price at the door for general public is $12 and $10 for Truckee Donner Chamber members. Fee includes a continental breakfast and raffle.
For more information, contact the Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce at 530-587-8808 or e-mail email@example.com.