UPDATE: Bear at Tahoe high school released above Carson City without cub | SierraSun.com

UPDATE: Bear at Tahoe high school released above Carson City without cub

This black bear was first spotted on the football field at Incline High School at about 9 a.m. Wednesday, an official said.
Courtesy Washoe County School District |


Chris Healy with the Nevada Department of Wildlife sent the following message to media on Saturday afternoon regarding the situation:

“The trap has been removed from Incline Village. There is not a trap currently on the ground in Incline Village at this time. The sow has been fitted with a satellite collar and will be released later (Saturday) in Little Valley.

If the cub shows up and we can capture it, we will track down the mother via satellite collar and take the cub to her. The last confirmed sighting of the cub was on Monday when it was released along with its mother in Little Valley.”

Healy also sent the following message earlier Saturday:

“Once again there was not a cub at the trap set in Incline Village. And, once again human activity around the trap was detected by NDOW trail cameras during the overnight hours. It is not known if that human activity possibly deterred the sought after cub from being reunited with its mother.”


THURSDAY, SEPT. 17, 5 P.M. UPDATE: Chris Healy with the Nevada Department of Wildlife sent the following message to media Thursday afternoon regarding the situation:

“There have been credible sightings of the bear cub today in a neighborhood of Incline Village. NDOW plans to set a trap in that neighborhood this evening in hopes of reuniting the cub with its mother. The trap will be set on private property and with full permission of the landowner.

“Unfortunately, NDOW bear trapping efforts in Incline Village have been greatly hindered by people tampering with traps. This strategy has a chance of working only if the trap is not tampered with by humans once it is set. Over the past few years, a small group of people have seen fit to prevent NDOW from trapping bears at Incline Village by encouraging activists to monitor traps and prevent bears from entering those legally set traps.

“If that ill-advised strategy is carried out again, our attempts to reunite the cub with its birth mother will be unsuccessful. We strongly encourage people to refrain from hindering NDOW’s effort to do the right thing and reunite these bears.”


INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — As of Thursday morning, the black bear cub of a mother bear that was trapped Wednesday at a North Lake Tahoe high school has not been captured, an official said.

Nevada Department of Wildlife spokesman Chris Healy said the trap was placed — with the mother bear inside — on the football field at Incline High School at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

As of 8 p.m. that night, the cub hadn’t wandered into it to be reunited with its sow, Healy said.

Officials arrived at the school Thursday morning and found no cub in the trap; the trap has since been removed.

“Trail cameras showed human activity around the trap during portions of the evening,” Healy said in a statement to media Thursday morning. “This activity could have very well made the capture effort more difficult. The persons shining flashlights and wandering through the area around the trap have not been identified.

“NDOW has had trouble in the past up in Incline Village with persons interfering with efforts to trap bears.”

The young mother bear was trapped Wednesday morning on school property after it was first spotted at about 9 a.m. roaming the football field.

The school was placed in a precautionary lockdown — and no one was ever in danger, officials said — for two hours while NDOW officials arrived to tranquilize, trap and remove the sow from school grounds before returning after school was let out to place the trap.

Healy added on Thursday that no cub has been spotted in the Incline area since the situation began to unfurl Wednesday morning.

“NDOW will hold on to the female and wait to see if the cub shows up,” he said. “If the cub does not show up, the female will be fitted with a satellite collar and released back in Little Valley (high above (Carson City), which is the last confirmed site where the female and the cub were together. This release will take place on Saturday.”

The female bear and her cub were first caught and tranquilized in Carson City on Sunday afternoon. They were released in Little Valley on Monday morning.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User