Veterinarian warns three Truckee dogs have died, two survived after likely ingesting toxins

Sierra Sun staff

A Truckee area veterinarian is warning dog owners to be on the lookout of signs their pup might have consumed something toxic, perhaps mushrooms.

Dr. India Vannini of Donner Truckee Veterinary Hospital says her office has seen five such cases, including three dogs that died before arriving in time for assistance and two others that have recovered.

She said the dogs exhibited symptoms of excessive drooling, body tremors — often mistaken for a seizure, and/or vomiting. If those symptoms are observed, she said there could be short window for treatment, as short as 10-30 minutes based on observations of the five cases she’d seen through Tuesday. She encouraged dog owners to seek treatment immediately if symptoms are observed.

Intubation of the two dogs that survived was key to their recovery, she said.

“The clinical signs are really always the same (among the cases). We just want community to be aware that there is something unidentified out there right now, whether it’s a mushroom or algae … it could take a week or two to identify the toxins, but mushrooms are always high on the list.”

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.