Your Tahoe Weekend: Music, craft workshops and outdoor adventure abound this weekend
September 7, 2017
Below are the Sierra Sun's picks for the Top 10 events to check out this weekend at Truckee and Lake Tahoe.
Have an event you want considered for a future Your Tahoe Weekend calendar? Email Reporter Cassandra Walker at email@example.com.
1. "Road to Hangtown" Greensky Bluegrass
Greensky is pushing the boundaries of bluegrass, seamlessly weaving their original material with rock 'n' roll covers by Prince, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and more during their energetic show with special guests Hot Buttered Rum.
Where: Crystal Bay Casino Crown Room
When: Friday, Sept. 8 | 8 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Cost: $25 in advance, $28 at the door + ticket fees
2. Truckee Roundhouse Classes
This Friday the Roundhouse will host new member orientation as well as classes, including their new member orientation, beginner laser cutting as well as open studio time for laser cutter expert users and household and industrial machines.
Where: Truckee Roundhouse
When: Friday, Sept. 8
Cost: Single class and membership options
3. Autumn Food & Wine Festival
Head to the foodie's paradise that is Autumn Food and Wine, celebrating its 32nd year bringing gourmet food, seminars, wine and shopping to Northstar all weekend long.
Where: Northstar California Resort
When: Friday, Sept. 8 – Sunday, Sept. 10
Cost: Single event and multi-day tickets available
4. 2nd annual Balls in the Ruff Golf Tournament
Support the Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe while playing a scramble-style tournament. Entry costs include 18 holes with a cart, box lunch, a golfer goody bag and awards dinner, benefitting homeless pets in our community.
Where: Tahoe Donner Golf Course
When: Friday, Sept. 8 | 11 a.m.
5. Fall Bird Outing at Cove East
Join Sarah Hockensmith of the Tahoe Institute for Natural Science on a bird walk to Cove East in South Lake Tahoe — bring your binoculars and wear layers of clothing.
Where: Cove East, South Lake Tahoe
When: Saturday, Sept. 9 | 9:30-11:30 a.m.
6. Nevada City Film Festival
Music in the Mountains and InConcert Sierra will co-present "Score: A Film Music Documentary," diving into the musical challenges of the film score.
Where: Nevada Theatre, Nevada City
When: Saturday, Sept. 9 | 7 p.m.
Cost: $10 general admission
7. Crepe Paper Peony Class
Learn to create beautiful paper flowers at Atelier Truckee, where all supplies are provided.
Where: Atelier Truckee
When: Saturday, Sept. 9 | 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
8. Miles for Mentoring Bicycle Challenge
Support Big Brothers Big Sisters of Nevada County and North Lake Tahoe while enjoying a beautiful bike ride on either a 10- or 30-mile loop around the Martis Lake and Brockway Summit areas.
Where: Start and finish at the Truckee Tahoe Airport
When: Saturday, Sept. 9 | 9 a.m. bike start, Noon after-party
Cost: $25 registration fee and commitment to raise additional $75
9. Trails & Vistas Art Hikes
Join volunteer trail guide, Carmen Carr, on an art hike themed, "Stepping forward filled with grace."
Where: Washoe County's Galena Creek Regional Park, Mount Rose Wilderness
When: Sunday, Sept. 10 | Starting at 9:30 a.m., leaving every 15 minutes until 12:15 p.m.
Cost: $12 child; $35 adult
10. Ultimate Balloon Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Girl Scouts of the Sierra Nevada will host their ultimate scavenger hunt during the Great Reno Balloon Race in Rancho San Rafael Park. Meet at the Girl Scout tent on the southwest side of the main stage with your Girl Scout or not-yet scout and earn a patch at the end!
Where: Great Reno Balloon Race | Rancho San Rafael Park, Reno, Nev.
When: Sunday, Sept. 10 | 5-7 a.m.
Cassandra Walker is a features and entertainment reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 530-550-2654 or @snow1cass.
Trending In: Local
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Two women sit on Placer County Board of Supervisors for first time in history
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter
- 24 inches in 24 hours: Winter storm wreaks havoc on Truckee roadways
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million