Maintain your energy efficiency during holidays | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Maintain your energy efficiency during holidays

Even with utility costs spiraling to the highest levels they’ve ever been, you can still maintain a bright yet energy efficient holiday, energy experts say.

To do this, use LED (light emitting diode) lights on your tree or on the outside of your house, recommends Larry Rackley of Sierra Pacific Power.

“LED holiday lights cost more than traditional incandescent lights but they use a fraction of the energy and last years longer,” said Rackley. “In addition, they’re nearly unbreakable and they always remain cool to the touch and there are more choices for LED lights than there were in the past.”



Besides using LED lights, you can be more energy efficient by using automatic timers to switch off lights in case you forget.

Unless you string thousands of lights around your home, holiday lights – LEDs or incandescent bulbs – are not likely to increase your electric bill significantly. A typical 6-foot tall tree requires about 200 standard miniature lights, Rackley said. Assuming those lights are operating five hours per day for a month, they will add approximately $2 to your monthly electric bill.



Rackley also offered the following holiday lighting safety tips:

” For the outdoors, use only lights and extension cords labeled as safe for outdoor use.

” Use one long extension cord instead of linking shorter cords together.

” Keep ladders away from overhead power lines.

” Avoid stapling or nailing electrical cords because it may damage insulation.

” To prevent falls, keep extension cords off walkways, and don’t run cords under rugs, through doorways or near furniture where they might be stepped on or tripped over.

” Don’t place cords around or near metal pipes, or anything that is damp and metallic.

” When stringing lights, always unplug the cord first.

” Don’t overload an electrical outlet with too many lights. Overloading can cause overheating and lead to a fire.

” Make sure outdoor electrical outlets have shock-protecting, ground fault circuit interrupters, especially around metallic and wet surfaces.

For more electrical safety tips, visit Sierra Pacific’s Web site at http://sierrapacific.com/safety/


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User