Man arrested in molestation case |

Man arrested in molestation case

Christina Nelson

After a five-month investigation involving the Ohio Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Truckee Police Department arrested a man in connection with four child molestation charges.

Gerard Brendan Joy, 42, was arrested in his Truckee home on Nov. 6 when officers served him with an arrest and search warrant, and also found him in possession of methamphetamine.

Joy has been charged with lewd conduct by force to a child under 14, oral copulation to a child under 14, oral copulation to a child under 14 by force and sodomy to a child under 14 by force.

At an arraignment on Tuesday, Joy pled not guilty to all counts of child molestation.

The investigation started in May of this year after molestation allegations were made known to Ohio authorities. The 11-year-old male victim had fled from Truckee to Ohio to escape the abuse.

“The victim was under 8 years old at the time the offenses began,” said Commander Scott Berry of the Truckee Police Department.

Recommended Stories For You

Truckee police detectives and Ohio law enforcement and FBI issued an arrest warrant after conducting forensic examinations and extensive interviews with the victim and his family.

When police entered Joy’s residence, officers found over one ounce of methamphetamine, drug-packaging materials, scales and various sexual devices.

Truckee police said they felt certain their investigation would protect the victim and his family since they were in Ohio, and still are, when they started the investigation.

“We’ve been in contact with this family,” Berry said. “We felt sure [the suspect] wouldn’t contact the victim.”

Police also arrested Mary Tracy, 37, of Truckee, and Matthew Tracy, 39, also of Truckee, for suspicion of possession and possession for sale of methamphetamine. Mary Tracy was also booked for maintaining a house for the purpose of drug sales.

Mary and Matthew Tracy’s bail was set at $10,000.

Joy was booked into the Nevada County Jail where he is being held on $260,000 bail.

A bail hearing was set for Wednesday afternoon.